Friday, August 30, 2013

What I learnt from running

One week ago I ran 10 km in the Reykjavik marathon. It was the first race I ever did and it still feels a bit weird and exciting when I think about it. I had never done any race before and I ain't even a very passionate runner (I am actually more into hiking, biking and cross-country skiing). But however, running provides some benefits and taught me some interesting lessons. I am grateful for that and I decided to write about them.

A blog article about a few good lessons I learnt from running.

So, how did I get the idea to start running though I am not crazily passionate about it? It was March and I was restless. I was unhappy in a PhD program (this is another story for another day) building up negativity inside me. Furthermore, it was between the seasons meaning there wasn't enough snow left in the Swedish lowlands for skiing but still too much ice on the ways for biking without special tires. But the negative energy was urging me outside and getting moving. So I grabbed some crampons to put under my shoes (we had just bought little gum crampons to put under walking shoes) and started running slowly. I then ran several times per week and got the idea that I could take part in a race if I just would become good enough. At first, I ran 25 minutes in slow pace and then added five minutes per week until I could run longer than one hour feeling good.

The benefits of running are apparent: movement is healthy for the body and the mind and the same goes for getting outside into nature regularly. And I learnt some precious interesting lessons:

Pace. It is sooo important to run (or move actually!) in your own pace. When running too fast I would end up breathless or with stitches in the side after a short while. So I started slow, very slooooow (almost walking) and I did not only learn that this is just okay but that it is the only way to make long distance running work and enjoying it.

Time. Time actually goes hand in hand with pace: give yourself enough time to get used to the running movement and for improvements in performance, for example for extending the training session or your pace. Don't get angry on yourself when you are not as fast or don't run as far as you would like in the beginning. It will come. Trust in it, relax and give yourself time.

Rhythm. It is easier to run when you adjust to a certain rhythm. This rhythm is yours and you have to find it yourself (remember: it is slow in the beginning). Music might help you to adjust your steps to a certain rhythm. I actually never listened to music when I ran but used the sound my feet made when hitting the ground as my rhythm. This worked well most of the time.

No matter the weather! You are more independent of the weather when you are running than you might think! I have been running in the cold, in snowfall, in pouring rain, in fog and in gusts of wind, and it didn't matter to me. I am heating up fast when I am running, so the first 10 minutes are not so pleasant but after that it is great to look at the "bad weather" and feel warm and cosy by my own body heat.

Strength. I felt regularly how I got stronger in my feet and in my legs and I even see it in the leg muscles. That is a great feeling!

Diversity. I learnt about myself that I am very bad at running the same route many times. I just get so bored and feel tired and exhausted after a little while. However, when I change the route often and when I choose ways which offer a wide beautiful view then I am running much longer and often faster than I would have imagined! The good thing about Iceland is that there are wide beautiful views almost everywhere.

Alternating. When I am not in the mood for running I go on little mountain hikes. It improves the stamina just as well as running and makes life much more interesting than running monotonously.

Believing. In the beginning I thought "Running for 10 km? Never, I can't even do 5 without feeling exhausted." Wrong! I did 10 km in the Reykjavik marathon and it wasn't a big problem. So I guess the same goes for 21 km ... or even 42 km?

No matter the weather! Running in pouring rain and 2°C in Húsafell.

No comments:

Post a Comment