Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Tea cosy cat made in Akureyri's handicrafter's paradise

I have found a wonderful place here in Akureyri, a place like I have been dreaming about sometimes: a handicraft house where everybody can meet up, has access to a range of wonderful facilities to use and meet other handicrafters, sitting together at a big table knitting and chatting.
This place is called "Punkturinn" and it was founded in the 90ties with its first intention being a meeting place for unemployed people to have facilities to work with their own creative projects.
Now it has a sewing room as well as glass, tree and clay workshops. And a big table which is always surrounded by busy chatty knitters. And p-l-e-n-t-y of workshops where you can learn everything from sewing to binding your own books or building your own bird house! It's a true paradise for handicrafters.

I have been inside handicrafter's paradise several times now and got a very warm welcome by the friendly staff who assisted me patiently when I used one of the sewing machines in the sewing room (I haven't really used a sewing machine before, so I had no clue how the thing works, let alone how to insert the sewing thread around its numerous little hooks, edges and wheels :) ).

I have a book called "Nordic Crafts" and there is manual in there how to sew a super cute tea cosy cat. My mom had bought me some very beautiful fabrics in Germany and here I was cutting them and sewing them together in this wonderful handicrafter's house.
Cut out fabrics for my tea cosy cat.

Tea cosy cat's face.
My tea cosy cat: finished! :)


The sewing edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment