Thursday, November 21, 2013

Bright is the winter night

I guess you assumed that the winters in a place just below the Arctic circle are long and dark. That's very right. The long nights of darkness have long arrived, and every day the path of the sun approaches the horizon a bit more. Soon it will completely disappear behind the hills letting it cast its long shadow for more than a month on the farm. Short are the winter days in the Subarctic!
Nevertheless, a few days ago I experienced the brightest winter night I have ever seen in my life. It had been snowing and the skies were clear and the air was crispy. Then the moon rose from behind the hills. A big bright full moon. And it casted a lot of light on the snowy wide landscapes making everything glow in a light blue light. It was crazily beautiful. I immediately put on my warmest clothes and headed outside. The landscapes were so bright that I saw every detail in them. The brown long grass halms projecting from the snow casting long dark blue shadows. Foot prints of the Arctic fox. The white mountains in the distance. I took a moonshine run that evening. There was no need for a light, quite the contrary, it would have destroyed this magical blue atmosphere. I ran through the moonshine bathed landscapes followed by my own dark blue shadow. (You don't see your moonshine shadow too often, I realized. And that this might be only possible in tree-less landscapes.) And I savoured the moment so much that I decided not to disturbish it by trying to take a photo. Enjoy the wide, glowing light blue landscapes with its dark blue long shadows in your imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment