Saturday, August 17, 2013

Luckless at the farmer's market

Close to the village Reykholt is a little farmer's market hold every two weeks during the summer. I was invited by Gauti's family to try to sell some of my knitting work there. I knit a lot and started to design my own patterns this summer. Sometimes I am completely taken up by designing patterns, sometimes it is like an obsession. Usually I go out and take pictures of plants and birds or take in some leaves and use Excel to create a kind of "pixle pattern" out of them. The picture shows the three hats and the two pairs of gloves I was trying to sell. The green hat (a children's hat) has the Golden Plover on it, the red one white dryas flowers and the black one downy birch trees. The pairs of gloves have a simply white dryas pattern and the downy birch pattern in autumn colours on them. They were between 3.000 and 3.500 Icelandic kronas (20-25 Euros). Maybe too much?
My knitted hats and gloves with selv-designed patterns.


So this is not much to sell yet but I am knitting more at the moment. I was pretty luckless at the farmer's market today, I didn't sell anything. Gauti's mom said it would be good to get a bigger collection people can rummage in, having both children's and adult wear, socks, shawls, fillets, and so on. That is probably true. But I think I did not have the right customers. Mostly there were women coming in wearing beautiful Icelandic pullovers and shawls which they probably knitted themselves. No need for some more knitting wear of course!
Maybe it is best to try to sell to tourists coming to Iceland. I don't know. Maybe it might be good as well to knit some small things which can be sold on little money. Let's see. Maybe I will be more lucky the next time or in another place ... Or maybe I should try to sell the patterns themselves ...?


2 comments:

  1. Don't get discouraged! I think Gauti's mom is right - a bigger selection of stuff will probably draw people in. And I love that you're designing your own patterns! Maybe put out some information with them and explain that these are your own designs, taken from Icelandic nature? Tourists would definitely love that! And selling patterns is a good idea to - have you checked out etsy.com and ravelry.com?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie! :) Yes, I know ravelry and recently was introduced to etsy by two good friends. I definitely have to put more information out with them! Today I am going to work the afternoon in Snorri's little shop and have permission to put them up there. :) There are coming by full busloads of tourists, let's see how that goes.

      Delete